Our history is a long and distinguished one, starting with our pioneering family coming to South Australia from England. Susannah Hannaford (widowed) and her 6 children arrived in South Australia in December of 1840 only 4 years after settlement.
Initially the Hannaford family developed a small farm in the township of Unley on 2 acres and built a small cottage. Over time George Williams Hannaford had heard of fertile land with springs and running water 25 miles from Adelaide and by October 1849 he had purchased our first orchard location "Hatchlands Estate" Cudlee Creek.
From here our Australian farming history starts and the purchasing of surrounding properties as to secure the perfect locations to grow our prime fruit and produce.
In the 1850s, the neighbouring property "Mt Bera" Cudlee Creek was purchased by Fredrick Hannaford. It wason this property that fruit production took off. It is said the first export of apples to England from South Australia were apples from the Mt Bera property and went on to win a gold medal at the first Franco-British Exposition held in Paris.
Tony Hannaford took over the Mt Bera orchard in 1974 from his father John Hannaford. The main orchard grew apples and figs, but Tony was looking for the opportunity to move into a specialty market and started to trial Cherry Production.
Unfortunately the Mt Bera property was not completely suited to cherries, so in 1985 our first property in Gumeracha was purchased and was promptly moved into full cherry production. In the following years we have purchased 7 other properties; 5 in the surrounding areas and 2 in Barmera with approximate total 680 acres of land with a mixture of cherries and grapes being grown. At our main address we have our production and packaging facilities.
Another proud moment was the introduction of a 10 line optical sorting facility, the first in Australia. We are constantly developing and improving our production and packaging machines, so we can guarantee that only prime top quality cherries leave our orchard.